Monday, November 10, 2008

Close read this title (you might miss something)

I understand the concept of close reading. It means you read it more carefully to get more prespective on the story, but when it comes to a story like 'every little hurricane' I wonder if it is worth it. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with close reading, but when I read the 'every little hurricane' story the first time, I was absolutly confused about everything I had read. So when I read it over it made a little more sense but is that good storytelling? If the author was expecting his audience to be able to understand it the first time than I guess it'd be alright, but I hope he didn't assume that he was being clever by trying to make the reader figure it out. That's like if I were telling a joke and nobody laughed, and if I were to explain the joke, you might think it was clever but I still didn't tell the joke correctly because nobody laughed. I don't see anything wrong with picking up new information on the second read, I'm just saying that when I finished reading the story for the first time I didn't know what the author was trying to tell me, or what the author wanted me to feel, and I can blame that mostly on the fact that I'm not a good reader, but still I feel as though the author could have done something to make me want to read it over again. I would like to cite a paragraph from the reading:
"During all these tiny storms, Victor's mother would rise with her medicine and magic. She would pull air down from empty cupboards and make fry bread. She would shake thick blankets free from old bandanas. She would comb Victors braids into dreams."
I assume that the child who lives in poverty is pretending that his life is nicer than it actually is by saying that old bandanas were thick blankets to him and so on and so forth; however, if I remember correctly, when I read this the first time, my brain exploded. When I went back and tried to figure out what it was saying, I did eventually and that was it.
I'm not suggesting that close reading is bad or anything, I'm just saying that if you close read something than it's not going to change you're opinon of the story, and I think it would be bizzare if he intended it to be some sort of mind puzzle. Of course it would be good for me to practice this close reading stuff to keep my brain firmly in one piece in the future.

11 comments:

Jimmy said...

too long, did not read =[

Anthony Mystery said...

i almost did not read this as well; however, i thought your observations were well recognized by the class for most of the students did not understand it. next time write less.

aleeshaKo said...

I thought it was funny when you quoted the story then recalled that you're brain had exploded in that moment. I actually chuckled out loud.

I understand what you mean about it being confusing, but nobody's forcing people who don't want t deeper meaning from a story to read it. Unless you're in this class, only we're supposed to be analyzing literature...

So basically, if you want an easy read, don't read that story, but if you're into reading between the lines and many figurative references, this is a good one.

Have a good day Mikeyyy! =)

Abby said...

Um, not too long. It's a good length, especially since you had a cited paragraph in there. However, I think you're kind of missing the point of close reading.

I think close reading is more about finding layers in what you're reading, or a second meaning linked to the original one.

Also, I think you were off a bit about that paragraph you cited was about how she could make a lot out of nothing. It's not that the bandanas felt like blankets, I think it's that they actually were, like she took old scraps and jerry-rigged them into something better, like MacGyver would for his kids if he had a piece of gum and a piece of string. Although, you could be right too.

Still, I like the zero punctuation allusion and the title. Both of them are highly awesome.

Kristi said...

I like how you used telling a joke as an example. Your original point confused me but it made sense after that. It was entertaining to read as well. =]

Daniel DeBoer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel DeBoer said...

Nice reference to our weekly critic Mr. Flaherty. I also think most people are going to misinterprit you. Although this shouldn't deter you from your writing, you're right in everything you say and if people were commenting on what you actually wrote they couldn't refute you.

Mr. Flaherty, like myself, are commenting on the fact that telling stories in this way doesn't make you more clever, or the message more important. It's just being confusing for confusions sake.

November 11, 2008 11:58 AM

Andrew said...

It may have been a little hard to figure out but those are some of the best stories,movies, and books eventhough these are the most hated as well but by doing this it allows us to get or creative brain thinking instead of everything handed to us like it seems to be this day in age but even though it can be confusing if you like that type of story but your points seemed very well justified instead the it was confusing and i'm done which ppl can do often

I'm not lost in the world. I'm just taking a detour. said...

Well I can see where your coming from. The first time I read the story I was so confused. But after the 2nd or 3rd time I got it.

Becca K. said...

I know what you're saying about good storytelling--allowing the reader to understand what's going on and what the meaning of the story is the first time. But there is something you're missing. Some stories are meant to be fast, relaxing reads. These are for those people who like to read but don't what something with too much imput. Then there are other stories that are written in order to make the reader think. These authors what to stretch the reader in order to help them close read better and get more out of the story.

If you come across a passage you don't understand (even if it's a really easy book), which I do frequently, then it is good to reread it. This gives you deeper insight into the text and allows you to glean more meaning from it.

School is meant to teach us something. A good story doesn't have to have an obvious meaning. That's why the college lit. stories we read have multiple layers to get us thinking. I for one have enjoyed reading most of them.

Jenny O said...

I read it, and I don't think it's too long. I like how you added about the telling of a joke. It's true. After the first time it just isn't as good. I understand the pointlessness of close reading, in that i don't appreciate the activity at all. Solid work Mikey.